Coconut Oil is natures perfect ingredient. Not only can you cook with it but it can also be used on your hair, skin and nails. Being 100% natural coconut oil makes a fantastic beauty product. Many beauty products are full of nasty ingredients that we don’t have a clue about, yet happily apply them on to our skin. Whatever you put on your skin is absorbed into the body so doesn’t it make more sense to use something natural? Amongst the many uses of coconut oil here are some of my favourites:
- Moisturiser: Coconut oil is rich in vitamin E. It can moisturise and hydrate the driest of skins. You can apply it before you sleep to repair and nourish throughout the night. It can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and plump up the skin. It is even suitable for oily skin prone to acne. The great thing is you don’t need anything else, it works amazingly on its own. You can also apply a thin layer on your full body after a shower.
- Hair conditioner: Once a week give your hair a deep condition by massaging coconut oil into your hair at night, tie it up out the way, then shampoo it out in morning. The vitamins and essential fatty acids naturally found in coconut oil with leave your hair shinier and softer than ever before. Many of us regularly straighten or curl our hair and this will really help to keep your locks conditioned.
- Make-up remover: This is a fab one! All you need to do is scoop a little out, rub the oil between your fingers to warm it up and then massage over the skin and wipe away with a cotton wool pad or face cloth. It even removes waterproof mascara and can help strengthen your eyelashes. Got to love that right?
- Massage oil: It’s ability to absorb deep into the skin and the vitamin E it contains makes it a fabulous massage oil. You can heat it to make a more liquid, warm massage oil which smells divine. You can also add essential oils to it to suit your mood as to whether you prefer a more relaxing or invigorating experience.
- Cuticle rub: Using coconut oil on your cuticles will help keep your nails from becoming brittle and stimulate new nail growth by increasing stimulation in the nail bed.
- Body scrub: Mixing coconut oil with Himalayan salt makes the best body scrub ever! It will gently exfoliate and leave your skin feeling silky soft and is great preparation before summer holiday or a big event. It can also be used as a hand or foot scrub.
- Toothpaste: Yes, that’s right toothpaste! Mixing it with a little bicarbonate of soda will leave your teeth feeling really clean and whiter. A few drops of edible peppermint oil for flavour is optional.
- Shaving: Shaving cream can be expensive and contains chemicals not necessary for achieving a nice clean shave on your legs and underarms. You can put the coconut oil under the shower stream to heat and soften it up. Coconut oil will leave your legs silky smooth and soothe bumps.
So as you can see the wonders of coconut oil does not just stay in the kitchen. Nourish and care for your body from the outside in.